[hpsdr] FW: K5OOR SDR Preamp

Terry Fox tfox at knology.net
Mon Jan 26 13:52:39 PST 2009

Repost to correct adress...

-----Original Message-----
From: Terry Fox [mailto:tfox at knology.net]
Sent: Monday, January 26, 2009 3:04 PM
To: Cliff Chism; hpsdr-bounces at lists.hpsdr.org
Cc: Terry Fox
Subject: RE: [hpsdr] K5OOR SDR Preamp

I hope that I am replying correctly.

I have used one of K5OOR "SDR Preamps" since last May.  It works great!
Last June, I built an SDR based on the BRainerd boards, and used the K5OOR
as a driver for a typical dual-IRF-510 amp (like in QST).  It boosts the
1/2W from the Brainerd prototype exciter to a level that can drive the
IRF-510 finals to over 40W on 40M.

I am on the list to purchase one of Virgil's 100W amps (Supoer Packer Pro, I
think), once they come out.  In order to drive it, I bought a second SDR
Preamp, and it's in a box waiting for it's big brother to show up.

Normally, I purchase parts and build my own stuff, but to me I could not get
the parts and a circuit board at the cost of the SDR Preamp in a timely
manner.  If you are advanced enough to build other SDR projects, the SDR
Pream will be a piece of cake.  I don't remember a single issue.

FWIW.
Terry, WB4JFI