[hpsdr] Best 100W Rig to steal Power amp LPF and TR

Dale Boresz dmb at lightstream.net
Sun Jan 4 07:11:06 PST 2009

Jeff,

Interfacing to the Icom-728 was very easy. Nothing was removed from the
radio. All I had to do was unplug a mini-coaxial cable for the TX path,
and one for the RX path and route them out the corner of the chassis.
Other than that, the RX cable goes directly into Mercury, and I built a
very simple resistor attenuator to put in line between Penelope and the
TX coaxial cable.

The PTT connections on the IC-728 mic connector were tied to Penelope's
25-pin D-shell connector (J6), pins 13 and 21.

The IC-728 has a 'Send' connector on its rear panel which can be used as
the keying line for an amplifier. I use it to key an Ameritron AL-811H.

For band changing, I just have to remember to change the IC-728 to
whichever band I'm using so that the correct set of LP filters is
selected in the PA section.

That's it. The entire process, including building the cables, took about
three hours.

The IC-729 is the same as the IC-728, but with the addition of 6 meters.
http://www.rigpix.com/icom/ic728.htm

73, Dale
WA8SRA