[hpsdr] vista and LibUSB-win32

Daniel Quigley dquigley at msn.com
Sat Jan 10 21:03:45 PST 2009

 Hi Ken, So far (as you note) there is general confusion and multiple paths on how to get libusb stable and functioning correctly on Vista and 64-bit systems. I have been investigating this issue in hopes of documenting a "works every time" step-by-step sequence to cover those systems for the wiki quick startup page.

libusb exists because application developers wanted an easier way to gain direct (more or less) access to USB devices. The net-net is that libusb was designed to fill that gap on Windows 2000 and XP systems. It never designed to run on Vista or 64bit systems and changes in the way Vista handles drivers created additional incompatibilities.

Subsequently Microsoft released winusb (supported on Windows XP and Vista systems) which does about the same thing as libusb. It's not rocket science to rewrite applications to use winusb, but it is not trivial either and may introduce other problems.

There are reports that applications that use libusb can "work" on 64bit and Vista systems. In fact for XP64 systems there is a driver compiled to work (see the forum post from Rick - W2GPS).  The most common Vista-32 advice is to run the USBIODriver setup under "Windows Xp SP2" compatibility mode.  However, even with that step there are reports that some or all USB hubs attached to a system will stop working when the libusb driver is installed and/or can cause BSOD conditions.  There is one recent (9/25/08) patch on sourceforge.net that addresses one potential Vista instability (see: Vista usb_get_descriptor sometimes needs more than 8 bytes) but I doubt that will solve every Vista problem.

I have not nailed down a solid set of instructions (yet) that works through enough of the Vista stability, UAL and device driver angles to make it worthwhile committing to the quick startup wiki doc.

I would like to run PowerSDR-HPSDR on my big, fat and fast Vista 64 system - but everything I have seen (so far anyway) points to the strong possibility of creating general USB or other system instabilities - which is (for me at least) too bitter to contemplate.  Ultimately, it will take some additional software work and testing to completely solve this problem.  I am not privvy to where Vista support sits in the feature request queue.

In short: XP64 bit looks good using the libusb-win64 driver with some additional steps.  HPSDR on Vista, appears, for now, unsupported at best.

Dan (N7HQ)