[hpsdr] vista and LibUSB-win32

Bill Tracey bill at ewjt.com
Sat Jan 10 22:14:54 PST 2009

Dan's dead on with his comments on potential libUSB problems on 64
bit XP and Vista.   It does look like we're ok on XP64 for the
moment.  On Vista 64 we're likely DOA (driver signing)  On Vista32
folks are having issues but we don't quite know why.  I'm a little
surprised at this since the QS1R guys have been reporting all is well
for them  on Vista 32 ... we may want to go see if we're using the
same levels of LibUSB they are.

As to where to go -- we can either fix libusb, or find a fixed
one.  Or perhaps move to Winusb -- I've not looked at this in great
detail, at a glance it looks like it should work and would be a
moderate work effort.   If anyone wants to take a run at converting
to Winusb let me know - it might make an interesting project if
someone wants to get into the code.  The bummer of it is we need to
convert C and C# since since the JanusAudio.dll  makes C calls into
libusb and the device programming utils are C#,  Personally I'd
probably look at taking the C based Linux programming utils and have
them go thru  Winusb and deprecate the C# programming utils.

As to the feature request queue... I don't really keep a formal
one.  The things on the list that come to mind @ the moment are:

ADC Overload indicator
I2C init stuff pulled into PowerSDR so we cam make the mic boost work
Sort out why xmit thru transverters is broken
Sort out Vista 32 - think about 64
Polish  Alex support
Dual Receivers via Mercury (need help from Phil H on this one)

I have a nice new Vista box I'd like to get HPSDR on  myself - just
haven't gotten to trying it and seeing how bad things are yet.

Cheers,

Bill (kd5tfd)