[hpsdr] Linear Power Unit (LPU)

Don N6MCE pleasedon at gmail.com
Tue Jan 13 14:57:22 PST 2009

Thanks to all those who worked hard to bring it to this point.
Sorry, I missed seeing the discussion on the list.
Here are my suggestions:
A. Mobile
1. If C21 was increased to 25V, then the LPU would be more robust in a
mobile installation as it would have more protection from voltage
regulator transients.  I would think that using another 10uF 25V
capacitor, same as C1, C3, C5, C7, C9, etc would work fine.

My preference is for an assembled unit.
If it is going to be a PCB and parts kit, my preference would be to
build into the PCB flexible options for also using this board as the
regulator board in an individual custom home-brew mains power supply.

To enable the option of having a pure linear supply, a -12V linear
regulator circuit option could be put on the PCB for us to populate,
which we would provide external transformer, rectifier, filter
capacitor.  That would accomplish being a pure linear supply.

If one was going to modify the PCB anyway, for building a mains supply,
a common option would be using a center tapped transformer to supply the
+12V regulator, that could easily have a capacitor on the center tap to
supply the +5V and +3.3 volt regulators which would eliminate the power
dissipated in those dropping resistors.  This looks like it may be easy
to do using the R5 and R7 connection holes.

I will be happy to get a LPU however it turns out.
thank you all for the effort.

73  Don N6MCE