[hpsdr] LTC 2208 A/D Thermal Characteristics

Rob Frohne frohro at wallawalla.edu
Wed Jan 14 03:20:16 PST 2009

Hi Scott,

That extremely small thermal resistance cannot be between the junction
and the place where Charles and others are measuring the temperature.
It must be between the junction and the part of the case under the chip
where it is supposed to be soldered to a good heat sink.  I am not
saying there is a problem, only that your analysis is not conclusive,
given the measurements that we can fairly easily perform.  Here are the
words of wisdom from the LTC2208 data sheet regarding heat considerations:

Most of the heat generated by the LTC2208 is transferred
from the die through the bottom-side exposed pad. For
good electrical and thermal performance, the exposed
pad must be soldered to a large grounded pad on the PC
board. It is critical that the exposed pad and all ground
pins are connected to a ground plane of sufficient area
with as many vias as possible.

The interesting thing is that their example board didn't contain any
vias to the ground plane that I could see anyway, so it seems that they
didn't follow their own advice, or maybe I'm blind.  :-)

In any case, increasing the heat sinking will not cause the device to
operate worse, only perhaps a little better, so I hesitate to discourage
folk like Francis from doing as they have with more heat sinking at
least at this point.

73,

Rob, KL7NA