[hpsdr] LTC 2208 A/D Thermal Characteristics

Philip Covington p.covington at gmail.com
Wed Jan 14 07:35:02 PST 2009

On Wed, Jan 14, 2009 at 3:50 AM, Charles Brain <chbrain at btinternet.com> wrote:

> Thanks Scott,
>
> I know this is rather moot now but I did say I would do the measurement.
> The QS1R ADC reaches 50C in an ambient of 20C after about 1hr so it
> is about 16C cooler. That is with the unit out of it's case and in a
> horizontal
> plane. My Mercury is mounted in a vertical plane.
>
> - Charles G4GUO

I measure the ADC temperature as part of the 24 hour burn in test that
every QS1R receiver board gets.  For QS1R, there is a range of
expected temperatures, the mean being 48 C.  I have data on a
considerable number of LTC2208s now.   If it is considerably higher
than that it is usually a sign that the ADC package is not soldered
properly to the thermal pad area on the PCB.

I was not included as part of the alpha board testers for Mercury, so
I cannot comment on what is normal for the Mercury's LTC2208.  I'd
prefer it to be much less than 70 C though.

Phil N8VB