[hpsdr] Penny: power shortfall

Chris Smith chris at vspl.co.uk
Wed Jan 14 03:56:51 PST 2009

Frank

I've had a look at the CCI AN779L kit but it looks horribly complex
for a driver stage. http://www.communication-concepts.com/an779L.htm

I prefer the look of the K5OOR SDR 5W Amp kit as it's less complex
(and costly). http://www.hfprojectsyahoo.com/sla5wamp.html

Phil Harman reminded me of an article he published in RadCom last July
with a driver stage which would fit the bill. Unfortunately there
doesn't appear to be a PCB for it and I'm not a fan of 'dead bug'
construction.

I am inclined to curb my impatience and wait for the Pennywhistle kit
assuming it will materialise in the same time-frame as Alex. In this
way the whole shooting match will be HPSDR.

The AN762-140 amp driven with 500mW should produce around 14W
(assuming the claimed power gain of 14dB) which should get me a few
contacts while I wait for the 'real thing'.

All I need is some decent weather and a little assistance to get my
multi-band vertical installed and I can start making some on-air tests.

Thanks to everyone who responded to my query.

73
Chris G4NUX