[hpsdr] LTC 2208 A/D Thermal Characteristics

Scott Cowling scotty at tonks.com
Wed Jan 14 08:17:14 PST 2009

I have reread my post several times, and I do not
see where I ever said "at the top of the case".

The 0.24°C/W is the number off of the LTC package information.

If you feel that it is an unrealistic number,
feel free to substitute any other number that you like.

If you think it is the number to the underside,
feel free to measure it there. Add a few °C/W for
the chip-to-board connection so you don't have to
unsolder your chip to measure it.

If you think that 20°C/W (specified thermal
resistance between junction and ambient) is a
realistic number just because it appears on the data sheet, use that one.

Every one of these choices will result in a
conclusion that the part is operating within
spec. There will not be a problem until you reach
nearly 100°C (measured at your favorite spot)
using the worst-case numbers above.

Phil, if you choose to oversimplify grounding and
thermal tradeoffs and call it "nonsense", feel
free to do so (I oversimplified it too). My
experience, on the other hand, tells me otherwise.

None of this changes the fact that there is
plenty of thermal headroom on Mercury.

My intent was not to discourage experimentation
(I specifically stated the opposite), but to
dispel the myth that there is somehow a design or
manufacturing defect in Mercury boards with ADC
temperatures at 50°C, 60°C or even 70°C.

You are going to have to come up with
temperatures a lot higher than these before you have a *real* problem. :-)

73,
Scotty WA2DFI