[hpsdr] Pentalop PA Consideration

Mac marine at humboldt1.com
Wed Jan 14 11:55:10 PST 2009

I also have T/R relay or antenna changeover issue with Mercury. I'm using
just the Mercury /Ozy combo. I have a
transmitter running about 250 watts carrier - continuous AM. Using common
antenna so antenna removed from Mercury
and switched to transmitter via PPT on mike. That didn't work as Mercury
front end overloads. Next I tried to short Mercury ant coax going to T/R
relay (about 2 ft long shorted coax left on Mercury) as well as move ant
back to transmit via relay. That did'nt work as S meter pinned and all kinds
of scary stuff happens to console display.
Now I'm thinking that the input connection, pin 3 on K1 relay to pin 2 on
FL1 should be broken (interrupted) on transmit. Too bad there wasn't a
jumper there - heh heh. (see HPSDR mercury schematic: Front End).
But I guess I won't try that, and just accept the fact that if you use an
independant transmitter it must be low power and driven by penny under
software control.
Mac W6FCS