[hpsdr] Pentalop PA Consideration

Joe Martin K5SO k5so at valornet.com
Wed Jan 14 13:51:49 PST 2009

Hi Mac,

Since the T/R relay you're presently using doesn't provide sufficient
isolation to keep Mercury from overloading, one easy solution would be
to simply put a second "T/R" relay between the present one and the
Mercury input connector (i.e., in series with the Rx line out of the
present T/R relay to Mercury) to provide additional isolation for
Mercury.  A small coaxial relay would work well for that since coaxial
relays typically have reasonable isolation between the ports.

If you elect to install a second relay, you might as well have the
second relay terminate the Mercury input with a 50-ohm resistor when
the system is in Tx to keep the Mercury input from simply being open
(unterminated) when your system is in Tx mode.

I'm currently modifying my IC7800-to-linear amplifier setup to work
with the HPSDR boards and I'm sure not gonna give up my present Tx
power to do it, even if I have to install a second T/R relay to
achieve sufficient isolation.   I don't know if it will be necessary
or not just yet (I don't really think it will be necessary but I'll
find out pretty soon!).  Our earlier mods to a Kenwood TS-940S running
at 100W output into a linear amp did not require a second T/R switch;
Mercury was happy.

This is simply one alternative for you to consider.

73,  Joe K5SO