[hpsdr] LTC 2208 A/D Thermal Characteristics

Bruce Beford bruce.beford at verizon.net
Wed Jan 14 14:32:42 PST 2009

Another Mercury ADC thermal data point.

With my calibrated Alpha Technics 3000 meter and probe, I have taken several
measurements of the LTC2208.

The readings tended to wander less than 0.3 degrees C over a minute of so,
after the probe was allowed to equilibrate. Average readings were:

Top of LTC2208: 43.5 degs C
Center of thermal pad area under the chip: 54.0 degs C

The calibration certification for this probe/meter combination is stated as
+/- 0.2 degreees from 0 to 50 degs C. Although the readings taken on the
heat sink area of my Mercury board are outside this range, I feel they are
not off by much.

It is interesting to note that I have a higher reading on the thermal pad
area than the top of the case. This is to be expected since the bulk of the
heat transfer out of the chip is via the thermal slug on it's bottom.

I am not going to lose any sleep over these temp levels.

-Bruce N1RX