[hpsdr] Atom PC

Dale Boresz dmb at lightstream.net
Mon Jan 19 16:30:23 PST 2009

Hi Mark,

Glad to pass along whatever info I may have that may help.

I used pretty much the same items that Bob, N4HY had mentioned in his
posting about a week ago. Here's what Bob put together, and I've added
my notes where I ended up with something different (for no other reason
than that I already had it on hand from a recent purchase from the local
Microcenter store):

Intel atom mobo/processor bundle: $85
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813121359

case: $56
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811154084

memory: $21
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820134192
I used this:
http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0279385

drive: $79
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136320
I used this Seagate drive:
http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0235781
Either (or virtually any other hard drive) will work just fine.

I added this DVD/CD writer/reader ($24.99):
http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0301943

The Firewire card is probably two years old or so, but it works fine:
ADS Technologies 1394DV API-311. It's a PCI100 card w/ three Firewire
ports. Nothing special about it, other than it works.

Many thanks to Phil Covington for originally suggesting this
motherboard, to Bob McGwier for documenting his implementation
specifics, and to those who contributed to the excellent quick start
guide at:
http://hpsdr.org/wiki/index.php?title=Quick_Startup_Guide

73, Dale
WA8SRA