[hpsdr] [OT] new Atom chips on the way...

jim goldenberg n1kwz at yahoo.com
Wed Jan 21 16:07:20 PST 2009

I haven't been following this thread but the Atom requires a north bridge.  Another solution is a system-on-chip, Intel has the Topalai processor which includes P3 x86, north bridge and many standard interfaces on a single chip solution. It currently operates at up to 1.2 GHz, future devices are on the Intel Roadmaps. I have a prilimenary OrCAD schematic if there is interest.  The design includes USB, SATA, SODIMMS DDR2, Flash and various serial ports and general purpose I/O.  This could potentially be put on a HPSDR stardard board.  The chip does not include on board graphics but a VGA interface at up to 1280x1024 can be put into an FPGA with PCIe interface to the Topalai.  I personally would like to see an interface to a tuning knob with look and feel as good or better than that on an FT-2000.

Jim, N1KWZ