[hpsdr] No smoke! (but distorted audio)

Graham / KE9H KE9H at austin.rr.com
Fri Jan 23 07:43:35 PST 2009

Paul:

It could be a couple of things. Likely not shielding or your grounding.

A low performance computer can get overloaded by processing and leave a lot
of audio gaps, or you could be hearing what a marginally locked or unlocked
clock recovery sounds like (crackling sound).

If a crackling sound...
If you are running just Ozy and Mercury, put them in adjacent slots on the
bus. Do NOT take out jumper J8 on Mercury. Make sure Mercury is selected as
the source of both 10 MHz and 122.88 MHz clocks at SetUp->General->HPSDR.
 If still present, go to the SVN...
\repos_sdr_hpsdr\trunk\USBBlaster-Binaries
and follow the instructions in the ReadMe to upgrade the firmware in
Mercury to version 2.4.

If repetitive gaps in audio...
Usually a computer with marginal horsepower.
Stop all applications on your computer, other than PowerSDR.
Make sure Sample size under SetUp->Audio is set to maximum size (2048).
If that doesn't work, , go to the SVN...
\repos_sdr_hpsdr\trunk\USBBlaster-Binaries
and follow the instructions in the ReadMe to upgrade the firmware in
Mercury to version 2.4.
Then, set "sample rate" at SetUp->Audio is set to 48000, for minimum CPU

--- Graham / KE9H

==