[hpsdr] Low gain low noise linear?

Todd Mondragon todd.kv1m at gmail.com
Sun Jul 5 10:09:03 PDT 2009

Hi all,

While I have been having absolutely no problems finding designs for medium
power (50W - 600W) wide band amplifiers there is a lack of anything that can
be used to bridge the gap from HPSDR output levels to what is required for
input on some of these designs.

In my case I have been getting the parts together for a BLF177 300W wide
band linear as described in Phillips Application Note NCO8703 (
http://www.nxp.com/acrobat_download/applicationnotes/NCO8703.pdf ). This
requires ~1.5W to drive at full power.
While it will put out a respectable 100W at 500mW input the 3rd and 5th
order distortion products are a little higher than I would like at that
lowered power level.

I know I can get a 5W amp then pad it down to do the trick, but this really
feels like a hack (and a waste of 5-10W of supply power)  to me so I am
looking to put together something that will give a nice clean ~1db gain as
an intermediate.
I know, small order, but not so easy to fill. :)

Any suggestions or pointers?

73,
Todd M0GLO