[hpsdr] Pandora kit

Chris Smith chris at vspl.co.uk
Sat Jul 11 10:18:26 PDT 2009

Hi

As my Pandora enclosure arrived the other day I thought I should get
on with building the LPU kit which had arrived some time ago.

I found the BOM with most of the SMDs attached and a small brown
envelope with fuses, series regulators, nuts & bolts and Power Pole
parts BUT only the short pins for the lower row of contacts.

Should there have been two sets of contacts?

I've built the kit now and have just used it for the first time so I
probably would have great difficulty adding the long contacts if I had
them!

I made the mistake of building the kit in one sitting - then I
couldn't stand up because my back was set! A walk (or hobble to start)
round the garden and a glass of red wine cured that! The worst bit was
the multi-pole connector and its sockets. I don't have the required
crimp tool or anything resembling it so had to solder and hand crimp
with a pair of needle-nose pliers. Took quite a while.

BTW using the LPU instead of a spare PC PSU  most of the sprogs have
disappeared and the noise floor has gone down several dBs too. On 80
metres, where it was S4-S5, it's now down to S1.

Cheers & 73

Chris
G4NUX