[hpsdr] Pandora Fan Orientation?

w3sz 73w3sz at gmail.com
Sat Jul 11 10:57:28 PDT 2009

I don't know anything about these issues ;)
but I mounted the fan as an exhaust fan rather than having the fan blow
air onto the LPU heatsink, reasoning that the heatsink and the
vertically mounted power resistors were positioned between the fan and
the nearby Mercury/Ozy/Pene boards, and I didn't want the fan
potentially blowing the hot air from the heatsink and the power
resistors onto the much more expensive and difficult to replace boards.
  I figured that the fan was close enough to the heatsink and had a high
enough flow volume that it would entrain sufficient air flow around the
heatsinks to cool the heatsinks when it was operating in the exhaust mode.

But it could well be that because of the position and dimensions of the
LPU heatsinks that little or none of the hot air from the heatsinks
would have in fact reached the boards if I had used the fan to blow air
into the cabinet instead of having it mounted as I did.

I have had my units running for hours and have not had any problems with
the configuration I used, but I don't have a temperature probe and I
haven't approached 100,000 hours of use yet.

Pending further data I will keep my fans mounted as they are ;)

73,

W3SZ
Roger Rehr
http://www.nitehawk.com/w3sz