[hpsdr] Call for Comments and Discussion - OzyII

Henry Vredegoor henry.vredegoor at gmail.com
Mon Jul 20 08:47:58 PDT 2009

Hi Phil,

Last weekend I studied your proposal for a future, new Ozy, OzyII and gave
it some thought.

If the aim is to have an alternative solution for the functionality of Ozy,
which I would characterize as a data dispatch processor between the ATLAS
bus interface and an USB interface (Ethernet interface in case of OzyII),
there are IMHO better and more simple solutions.

I think the implementation of the full Ethernet/TCP-IP functionality in an
FPGA is a difficult and complex task and will take a lot of development
time. (witch could be better spent for "real" HPSDR work ..... :-)  )

I think a real microprocessor based system, maybe an SOC (System On a Chip),
running a (micro-) version of Linux, maybe assisted by some FPGA hardware
and an added high speed LVDS interface to the ATLAS-bus interface would be a
better approach.

The complete TCP-IP functionality is already present in Linux, the physical
Ethernet interface could be done via a High Speed USB interface, using an
external COTS USB-to-Ethernet converter. (No issues with IP and NDA related
matters)

Ready alternative example solutions and -designs ( e.g. BeagleBoard?) are
available.
This is a solution maybe comparable with the currently available Linux based
small router hardware.

Drawback could be the limited performance of 1000 Mbit/s Ethernet, since
High Speed USB is only 480 Mbit/s.
But this I think would also be difficult to achieve with the FPGA design.

Other interesting applications readily available or easy made possible could
be employed for HPSDR with this setup:

- (Mini-) webserver for remote control & monitoring of the HPSDR setup
- Local storage of code for and "standalone" loading of the boards from the
Linux processor after power-on
- standalone logging/recording to external storage

To name a few I can think of right now.

On the other hand the proposed large FPGA solution could be a very nice
(development-) platform for real SDR related time/performance critical
software applications. (sans Ethernet)

Maybe we should have both...... :-)

73's,

Henry.

BTW: I like the nickname "Aussie" for OzyII! My spelling checker suggested
Uzi......