[hpsdr] Call for Comments and Discussion - OzyII

Steve Bunch k9srb at arrl.net
Mon Jul 20 12:31:08 PDT 2009

For those unfamiliar with it, it's useful to look at the USRP 2 at ettus.com (http://www.ettus.com/download for specs) and at GNUradio.org (http://gnuradio.org/trac/wiki/USRP2 for an overview) for background and to see the experience that they've had with this approach.  An Ethernet-connected HPSDR won't have to start from scratch.

USRP 2 is a 1Gb Ethernet-connected SDR board that comprises a very big FPGA, fast A/D D/A converters, and plug-in front-end boards that do the RF capture/output.  It's an expensive product for a hobbiest, but all the USRP and GNUradio code are open-source and you're encouraged to cherry-pick useful bits of it for your own use.  (In fact, I believe that the Ozy USB interface reuses code from the USRP 1).  There is an open-code 32-bit CPU in the USRP 2 FPGA (available on opencores.org), and Matt Ettus sponsored the productization of the Gbit Ethernet core that was on opencores.  The usual software for USRP 1 or 2 is GNUradio, which is primarily oriented at being a toolkit for developing SDR algorithms, though people have developed complete radios using it.  There's a great deal of information on the GNUradio wiki and mailing list about how USRP 2 uses Ethernet, PC-side drivers and software, packet formats being used, etc.

(Other than using USRP 1's for experiments, I have no connection with GNUradio or ettus.com.)

73,
Steve, K9SRB