[hpsdr] Call for Comments and Discussion - OzyII

Steven Wilson stevew at intrinsix.com
Mon Jul 20 18:01:57 PDT 2009

I've been reading everyone's comments and I wanted to throw a few points
your collective way since I build SOC's for a living.

If you want to make a soft SOC in the FPGA we need to add several pieces.
1) External Flash memory for code storage (the OS goes there..)
2) SDRAM (cheaper) or DDR so that there is sufficient RAM for the OS to
do it's thing.
Bottom line - don't depend on the FPGA resources for code storage.
3) JTAG port OTHER than the download port to debug the processor.
4) A soft processor built to go into an FPGA.
5) A UART port for debug messages (already got provisions for that..)

Things to consider
1) A soft processor in an FPGA is NOT going to be fast.  Example - an
ARM7 can do maybe 30-40Mhz in an FPGA.
2) Since you have a slow processor - don't expect it to drive a 1Gb Enet
at 1Gb!  That begs the question - why 1Gb Enet? Isn't 100Mb going to be
fast enough for you since you can't possibly generate traffic at 1Gb
speeds with the soft CPU.
3) There are ports of uCLinux to things like the NIOS that already have
TCP/IP stacks -so you don't have to re-invent the wheel. The trick would
be to try and use someone else's example SOC as a basis for what you
create that already has uCLinux ported to it. MUCH less work that way.

I think that covers it.

Steve KA6S