[hpsdr] Call for Comments and Discussion - OzyII

Bob Cowdery bob at bobcowdery.plus.com
Tue Jul 21 00:31:50 PDT 2009

I'm really enjoying this discussion. Here is some input from someone
that  understands practically nothing about SOC's, FPGA's etc so please
be gentle with me!

I for one would be very keen to have a full embedded capability on
OzyII. To me that means running embedded Linux with everything that
brings with it, full network stack, tool chain and therefore the ability
for the average software guy (like me) to write stuff to sit on it. I
have never completely understood the reasons for using an FPGA on Ozy
although Phil did try to explain it to me at one time I'm afraid the
answer is lost in the mist of time.

To my simple mind Ozy does two things, interfaces to the PC and
interfaces to the Atlas bus and does 'stuff' between the two. Or is that
three things.. anyway.  My simple mind continues with why is it not
possible to use one of the tiny embedded controllers like gumstick and
'somehow' interface that to Atlas. This comes from a slightly selfish
angle I have to admit because I could then use ZeroC IceE to make it a
full up node in the Acorn network. By making it an open environment
everyone could do their own thing.

I'm now braced to be shot down in flames!

73's
Bob (G3UKB)