[hpsdr] Call for Comments and Discussion - OzyII : To TCP/IP ornot to TCP/IP

Henry Vredegoor henry_vredegoor at hotmail.com
Tue Jul 21 04:51:33 PDT 2009

Hi Jonathan,

I'm not sure from your post if you are talking about just TCP/IP processing
or SDR related processing too, regarding your remarks about the use of
Linux.
I think we are talking here just the performance of Linux for TCP/IP
communication and I assumed that a general Linux would fit the job, but not
sure about high volume processing performance with TCP/IP.
Ozy does as far as I know no SDR related processing.
Do you say that a better real time OS performance for just TCP/IP would be
needed?

Of course any FREE and OPEN (preferably Unix-like) OS would be OK as long as
it will do the TCP/IP communication, that was maybe not clear.

Anyway, still even more to read I guess... :-)

FPGA/C
I agree with you and think that the complexity/difficulty of an FPGA is only
justified for performance/timing reasons.

Henry.