[hpsdr] Call for Comments and Discussion - OzyII

Murray Lang murray.lang at westnet.com.au
Tue Jul 21 21:45:18 PDT 2009

Bob Cowdery wrote:
> "If we are going to go down the path that some are suggesting and
> design a Linux board with all the requisite resources, then why not
> add a DSP and call it Sasquatch? I think it would be a shame to invest
> all that energy (and money) and not go the extra step."
>
> HPSDR is really a mix of plug-in single function boards and separately
> some multi-function boards. They both have a place but I would much
> prefer to keep single function as then the parts are replaceable and
> can evolve more easily.

That's what I was driving at but I didn't explain myself well. Once Ozy
has a TCP/IP stack, then the temptation is going to be to dump all sorts
of interesting goodies on top. Of course that's not a problem if the
additional cost is marginal and people are happy to risk wasting their
energies.

I wasn't suggesting that Sasquatch should be folded into Ozy - I was
saying the opposite. It sounded to me like others were getting close to
this scenario.

73,
Murray - VK6HL