[hpsdr] Duplex and Full Duplex

Henry Vredegoor henry_vredegoor at hotmail.com
Thu Jul 23 06:38:03 PDT 2009

I'm almost sure at this moment it can not work in this way.
I think the whole system simply wasn't designed and implemented with duplex
in mind (?)

I think you would have to check each functional block in the chain from
antenna to the loudspeaker and from the microphone to the antenna for this
operating mode.
If it could be MADE to work (It is SOFTWARE defined radio after all.... ;-)
), is whole other question.
I think it would be difficult but probably doable

Quick, first thoughts:

PC (audio route): Yes it can

Software (PowerSDR):
I think not, I think it would require some serious changes to make it
"aware" of a duplex situation.
Other software don't know.

USB interface to/from Ozy: Yes it can

Ozy itself: Same problem as Power SDR, it probably is not aware of a duplex
situation as well.

Atlas Bus interface: Could be, would require different paths for RX and TX
data from Mercury and to Penny

Mercury: Yes it could if it has it's own (Alex) RX path to the antenna

Penelope: Yes it could if it has it's own (Alex) TX path to the antenna

Alex: Since it shares it's filters for RX and TX you would need two

In general: The whole system has to be (logically) aware of this operating
mode and I think it currently is not.
Things like interlocking between RX and TX, a second (the duplex) frequency
(This is not VFO A and VFO B)

Another issue would probably be performance of the various software parts,
including Ozy hardware (FPGA firmware)

After having written down all this I would think the answer is not at the
moment, but maybe doable.

But others can answer this much better than I can.

73's,

Henry.