[hpsdr] Hermes update

Rob Frohne frohro at wallawalla.edu
Sun Jul 26 08:55:41 PDT 2009

Hi Kevin,

Recently I did a bit of googling to determine what the best design
package was on Linux, and I thought it would be Eagle, but I found a lot
of posts that said Kicad was the one to beat.  I had tried it a while
back, and it was OK, but the lack of library parts bothered me.  That
seems to have changed.  There is a script to convert parts from Eagle to
Kicad now, and a newer tutorial helped me better than the previous one.

http://kicad.sourceforge.net/wiki/index.php/Mini_tutorial

It appears that Kicad is mature enough now.  I think we should be
looking at using open source tools as much as possible, in addition to
making our hardware designs open source.

At school, we are seriously considering leaving Mentor Graphics suite
and going to Kicad, even though we only pay a maintenance fee for the
Mentor Software due to being an educational institution.

Just my thoughts!  Keep up the good work!

73,

Rob, KL7NA