[hpsdr] Call for Comments OzyII

jeff millar jeff at wa1hco.net
Mon Jul 27 22:52:20 PDT 2009

Henry Vredegoor wrote:

> Hi Van, All,
>
> Very interesting idea regarding reducing bandwidth between the PC and HPSDR.
>
> I'm still struggling to understand Jeff's model regarding bandwidth versus
> required processing power more completely (this has nothing to do with the
> quality of Jeff's post, witch I find very interesting, but more with my own
> lack of knowledge), but if the model presented by Jeff is somewhat correct,
> then one of the conclusions would be that a bandwidth of say above 50 - 100
> Mbit/sec will increase the costs of an HPSDR system considerably as the cost
> of the PC with the required performance to do this will increase a lot with
> the current setup.

Henry...

I wrote that quickly and didn't expand on a number of points to keep it
short. If you have questions, ask away! I'll try to explain what I meant
to say.

As an aside, Van's suggestions may not save compared to traditional
filter and decimate algorithms. As someone pointed out, the essence of
compression algorithms is to encode the most important parts of the
signal and let the less important parts go. MP3 takes advantage of a
property of the ear where it can't hear weak tones when block by strong
tones...so just encode the strong tones.

This assumes a lot of knowledge of what's important and what's not
important...which you don't have when trying to pull a weak signal out
from under a strong signal.

There is an algorithm called "Multiuser Detection" which attempts to
model the strong signal and then subtract it from the input, leaving
just the weak signal. That works well for digital signals and not so
well for voice. Hmmm...come to think of it, it might work ok for CW.
> For this reason I think and agree with you that maybe our efforts should
> also be aimed at reducing the volume of the transported data sent to the PC
> and offloading the processing in the PC.

Thanks. The almost universal architecture for SDRs that use a high speed
A/D consists of an FPGA or ASIC to filter and decimate the ADC output
signal and then passing it onto a general purpose computer. FPGAs have
about 30 times greater price-performance compared to CPUs, but can only
implement relatively simple algorithms. This make them a good choice for
the first stage of filtering and decimation.

ASICs have about a 5X advantage over FPGAs. The problem with ASICs comes
from not being able to get the one you want. A cell phone chip has a
very high price performance but only can do one thing.

These ratios remain about the same over time because they're all
implemented with about the same silicon technology.

One exception to this rule about technology selection may come through
the use of high performance graphic cards for accelerating signal
processing. They seem to achieve performance close to an FPGA while
remaining software programmable.

If you want to read more about technology comparisons between ASIC, FPGA
and CPU, look for Andre DeHon's PHD thesis from MIT. It's quite readable
and enlightening. His later work suggested optimizing FPGA like devices
with more complicated logic elements...which foreshadows what grahics
cards, Picochip, and Cell Array do today.
> What kind of reduction in bandwidth do you expect by using your suggested
> method?

Someone made the point that the SDR architecture shouldn't worry about
CPU power because Moore's law will make it available shortly. But, that
same Moore's law will make for faster faster and wider A/Ds, faster and
cheaper FPGAs, and more complex signal processing algorithms. The future
SDR algorithms will probably process signals from multiple antennas
simultaneously, implement Multi User Detection, new modulation schemes,
etc. This basically suggests the fundamental architecture of RF filter,
A/D, FPGA, General Purpose CPU will be with us for some time.

jeff, wa1hco