[hpsdr] Call for Comments OzyII

J.D. Bakker jdb at lartmaker.nl
Tue Jul 28 05:20:14 PDT 2009

At 01:52 -0400 28-07-2009, jeff millar wrote:
>Someone made the point that the SDR architecture shouldn't worry
>about CPU power because Moore's law will make it available shortly.
>But, that same Moore's law will make for faster faster and wider
>A/Ds, faster and cheaper FPGAs, and more complex signal processing
>algorithms.

This assumes that you upgrade your HPSDR front-end as often as you
upgrade your PC. I think it would be very useful for the average user
to be able to have the current (not-so-cheap) hardware be somewhat
future proof, and to get a performance boost by simply upgrading
their computing backend. It's *software* defined radio, after all.

Besides, Kirk's excellent Verilog tutorial notwithstanding it is not
unreasonable to assume that much more people are comfortable
programming on their computer than modifying an FPGA. I firmly
believe that the 'smarts' for SDR should be on a PC, and that the
main job for the front-end is to offer an adjustable pre-filter for
the ADC stream so that slower PCs don't end up trying to drink from a
firehose.

JDB.
[if you factor in development and upgrade costs, it's hard to keep up
with COTS PC hardware bang-for-buckwise]
--
LART. 250 MIPS under one Watt. Free hardware design files.
http://www.lartmaker.nl/