[hpsdr] Saga of not working

Richard Ames richard at ames.id.au
Tue Jun 2 03:58:08 PDT 2009

In the hope that it will be useful, I relate my tale of woe....

I have had my Atlas and Mercury for about two months....  working fine
when received.  About a month ago I was listening on 40M when the
general noise level went up, the ADC overload was flashing, and then no
signal on the display or in the headphones.

Reloaded all the SW and sometimes could get some static like sound but
nothing reliable....

Along the way tried ghpsdr and failed with what seemed to be a USB
communication problem.

Tested analog portion of Mercury - 50mv at 7.1 Mhz at BNC connector
produces 400mv top of C95 (ie input of ADC) - both voltages with respect
to the BNC shell.  Is this normal?

Fast forward to today - Loaded all the new SW (firmware) without
incident, downloaded current PowerSDR. Deleted PowerSDR MDB file and
started up...  working OK on 40M.... then same as before - general noise
level went up, the ADC overload was flashing, and then no signal on the
display or in the headphones.  Power off.  Restart - Now PowerSDR says
the firmware version is wrong.

Went away and built the LPU - works fine.... was hoping my noise problem
might have been the PC PS.

Reloaded the Mercury firmware - only Ozy and Mercury in Atlas. PowerSDR
still says the FW is wrong.

Tried ghpsdr again:

ghpsdr Version 0.2
create_ozy_buffers: 34
input_sem.7913
create_spectrum_buffers: 8
spectrum_sem.7913
setRXPan 0.500000
ozy_ep6_ep2_io_thread: OzyBulkRead read failed -7
ozy_ep4_io_thread: OzyBulkRead failed -7 bytes

Any ideas on how to trouble shoot my problems????

Dismayed, Richard.