[hpsdr] SK6RUD 500kHz 3W ERP beacon recording by ES7AAZ

Riho B., ES7AAZ es7aaz at hot.ee
Tue Jun 2 15:20:21 PDT 2009

Hi,

a few days ago I was building a quite simple vertically polarized receiving loop
antenna for low HAM band DX'ing by K9AY which also works very well in low and mid-frequency area.
Tonight I was listening to SK6RUD 500kHz QRP beacon with great success.
50Hz filter, preamp ON, (not large, 350KB, .mp3 file):

http://tentra.planet.ee/sk6rud_500kHz_beacon.mp3

In the end of the file you can see what Mercury's preamp can do on 600m band.
Listen carefully those steady tones. I frequently switched preamp ON/OFF.
It was +20dB over noise with preamp ON and hardly audible with preamp OFF.

Am I amazed ? Sure I am ! :) This is The Receiver !

P.S. SK6RUD QRP beacons homepage: http://www.radiorud.se/fyren.asp

Thanks to all of you !

With best regards from Estonia,
Riho, ES7AAZ.