[hpsdr] FPGA Speed Grade on Ozy

Doug Gibbs dgibbs at ix.netcom.com
Fri Jun 5 14:56:22 PDT 2009

With reference to the Ozy problem with C7N & C8N parts, I had an
experience earlier this year that may relate.  I had an Ozy/Janus/Atlas
working with a softrock and wanted to play around with the Ozy FX2
firmware and FPGA code. I downloaded and installed Eclipse and got it
running to recompile the FX2 firmware successfully.  Then I downloaded
Quartus and the Ozy2_Janus2 project for the FPGA.  It took me awhile to
get the .v code to compile without errors due to setup and configuration
problems, but I finally got it to work.  I could then successfully run
initozy and both the firmware and FPGA code would load OK but when I ran
PowerSDR, I did not have a spectrum display or any audio.  I pursued the
problem for quite awhile but was unable to determine what was wrong.
Finally, I was looking at the Quartus settings (for the 100th time) and
noticed there were two entries for the Altera EP2C8Q208 FPGA.  One had a
suffix of C7N and the other C8N.  The EP2C8Q208C8N was selected by
default.  I checked the FPGA on my Ozy board and it was a C7N, so I
selected that in Quartus.  The code compiled and when I initialized Ozy
and started PowerSDR everything worked perfectly and has every since.  I
have subsequently added Mercury and Penelopy and they have worked fine.
My boards don't seem to be position sensitive in Atlas.

In my case, I was trying to compile for the C7N with C8N selected in
Quartus.  I don't know what the effect would be if you compiled for the
C7N and then used the code with a C8N.  Maybe someone that has a C8N can
pursue it.  I don't know if any of this relates to the present problem
but I thought I should mention it.

Doug - W8NFT

----- Original Message ----- From: "Scott Cowling" <scotty at tonks.com>