[hpsdr] OCXO 10 MHz clock source

hartfuss hartfuss at ipp.mpg.de
Fri Jun 12 04:48:40 PDT 2009

Hi Graham,
the external 10 MHz clock source is running very well. I appreciate your
hints very much. Thanks again!
As reported earlier I purchased a 10 MHz OCXO from the German AXTAL
company; it's their model AXIOM30-12-05 with very low phase noise.  It
is operated from the 12V supply on Atlas and delivers 5V signals with
50% duty cycle.
As you might remember I built a compact hpSDR transceiver version with
the 3-slot Atlas-EU board with no space left for Excalibur.
Therefore I removed the ATX connector and put similar to your protoype
version a small printboard on its place carrying the OCXO and a driver
with the 74LVC244A operated with 3.3V supply voltage. This allows for
very short connections  to C16, as well as to GND and the 12 supply
voltage on ATLAS.
The clock signals measured on C16 of ATLAS with all boards in place are
very nice: 3.3Vpp with a 10-90% rise time of 3 ns.
I am preparing a description with photos over the weekend.
With best 73s, Hans, DL2MDQ.

PS: to adjust the frequency as accurate as possible (a few Hz are
possible with a control voltage on the OCXO) I also purchased a used
Rb-standard (DATUM/EFRATOM, LPRO-101)cheaply available on the surplus
market. It will probably be ready in a week.

Hans:
Well, the latest software versions for Mercury and Penelope,
when not receiving a 10 MHz clock input will free run at about
the center of the frequency range of the 122.88 VCO.  This means
that if you select ATLAS as the 10 MHz clock source, and there
is no 10 MHz signal on ATLAS bus line C16, then Mercury and
Penny will still operate and typically will stay within several
hundred Hertz of frequency.  If you are real lucky they may stay
within several 10s of Hertz.

This was not true of the early software versions, and Mercury and
Penny would quit with the lack of a 10 MHz clock.

--- Graham