[hpsdr] OZY & new code release

Alberto I2PHD i2phd at weaksignals.com
Mon Jun 15 06:58:09 PDT 2009

Riho B., ES7AAZ wrote:
> 80m SSB audio sample, first 10 sec distorted(v1.4), next 15 sec normal(v1.3),
> last 7 sec distorted(v1.4) again:
> http://tentra.planet.ee/audio_sample.mp3

EXACTLY what I hear on my setup ! The more I listen to it, the more I am
convinced that
the problem is an insufficient anti-aliasing before a downsampling. I
remember having
cut the number of taps in an anti-aliasing FIR filter I coded for Winrad
a couple of years
ago (I did that trying to spare a few CPU cycles), but the audio then
sounded exactly
as it sounds with the latest FPGA code, so I was forced to make again
the length of
the FIR as it was before, and the problem disappeared.

It would be interesting, when Kirk will have solved the problem, to know
if in this case
the reason for that distortion was a similar one.  TNX.

73  Alberto  I2PHD