[hpsdr] USBIO and Vista?

Chris Day scotstramp at msn.com
Sun Jun 28 11:33:32 PDT 2009

That seems to have done the trick. I have the USBIO/libusb driver successfully loaded under Vista. Thanks!

Chris Day

AE6VK

Date: Sun, 28 Jun 2009 10:25:10 -0700
From: scotstramp at msn.com
Subject: Re: [hpsdr] USBIO and Vista?
To: bill at ewjt.com; hpsdr at lists.openhpsdr.org

Thanks, Bill. That has prodded my brain into action. It appears that the problem is two part.

1) When you plug in a new USB device, Vista by default searches the Windows Update web site for a matching driver before giving you a chance to intervene.

2) Windows Update has this Vweb driver, for an ancient USB video capture device, I think, that matches and gets installed before you have a chance to point to the USBIO/libusb driver. This causes a collision that is tricky to sort out.

Since I'm in a reinstall-the-OS-at-the-drop-of-a-hat mode, I'm going to disable the automatic driver search before plugging in the cable for the first time. That should get me around the problem, I hope.

[ Disable automatic driver search - http://www.addictivetips.com/windows-tips/how-to-disable-automatic-driver-installation-in-windows-vista/ ]

Chris Day
AE6VK