[hpsdr] HPSDR and 23 cm EME w/Apollo Astronaut Bill Anders

Joe Martin K5SO k5so at valornet.com
Sun Jun 28 12:53:47 PDT 2009

All,

FYI, HPSDR is active and doing very well on 23 cm EME.   Yesterday
K5SO used the HPSDR board set (Atlas, Ozy, Mercury, Penelope,
Excalibur) as an IF stage for both Tx and Rx to participate in the
Echoes of Apollo activities on the moon.  Other stations, notably
K1RQG, were also using HPSDR in a similar fashion during the event.

Interestingly, Ben W4SC intercepted and recorded a portion of the
impromptu 23 cm SSB EME
communications between K5SO and W6SRI during which Apollo Astronaut
Bill Anders was connected to K5SO via telephone line for the
transmissions during some of the Echoes of Apollo activities.  Ben was
using his SDR-14 software defined radio receiver as an IF stage at the
EME station of Joe
K1RQG for the recording.

The .wav audio file:

http://k5so.com/K5SO_W6SRI_D2000Hz_20090628_171651.wav

Thanks to Ben and Joe for sharing this with us!!

The HPSDR outperforms anything I've ever used on HF or EME so much so
that I've simply relegated the IC-7800 to standby mode only!  What a
rig!

73,  Joe K5SO