[hpsdr] Fw: JTAG Mercury programming problem.

Johan Maas johan.maas at hetnet.nl
Wed Mar 25 10:31:10 PDT 2009

Hi All,

Tnx for all the replies.

Iam willing to program mercury via JTAG using J7.

Based on the code from Kirk iam able to load very fast the new compiled code and use the internal logic analyser from altera called signal tab; i like to use the debug option.

To load it in prom i can use the blaster (this works for my blaster with the wrong 220E resistor) by using J4; or using OZY.

The resistor R10 is only restricting the programming via J4 of the PROM and does not interfer with the JTAG J7 connection.

I placed only the mercury board; now the programming via JTAG was succesfull (only after hittng multiple times the start button; several times iam getting the error CONF_DONE pin failed to go high in device 1)

It seems that ozy does interfer with the mercury board. Iam also using the ozy_janus.rbf of the project of Kirk.

Kirk is there a conflict with ozy (as described by Phil)?

Hope i made the situation clear.

73 Johan PA3GSB

Just to confirm Graham's notes.

One other item to be aware of.  The Ozy board is connected to the JTAG
chain on the Atlas bus so we can use it as a pseudo USBBlaster to
program other devices on the bus.

Hence, if you connect a JTAG programmer to the JTAG header on a Penny
or Mercury board it will be in parallel with the one inside Ozy - and
not work!

By adding the facility to program devices over the Atlas bus using Ozy
we remove the need to purchase a JTAG programmer.

If you really have to program a board using a JTAG programmer rather
than Ozy let me know and I'll make you a special version of
Ozy_Janus.rbf that does not drive the JTAG chain.

73's Phil...VK6APH

Quoting Graham / KE9H <KE9H at austin.rr.com>:

> Several Comments:
>
> If you are programming Mercury directly with a Byte Blaster, or clone,
> you should jumper out R10, or replace it with a 22 Ohm resistor
> (marked 220). It shipped from the factory with a 220 Ohm resistor
> (marked 221).
> Some will work, some will not work with the 220 Ohm resistor in place.
>
> If you are programming Mercury directly with a Byte Blaster, or clone, you go
> in on the "PROM CONFIG" connector, J4, because you are actually programming
> the serial PROM.  The FPGA will get the program from there at power up.
>
> If you are programming Mercury directly with a Byte Blaster, or clone,
> you should use the ".pof" file, and set the "Mode" to "Active Serial
> Programming,"
> NOT JTAG, because you are actually programming an external serial PROM.
>
> The Files that reference a JTAG chain are for programming the Serial PROM
> via the JTAG chain using the FPGA and OZY configured as a Byte Blaster,
> which is an entirely different process, in which case you use the
> ".jic" files.
>
> It is also possible to program the FPGA directly, but if you do that,
> you will
> loose the program every time that power is turned off, because it will not be
> stored anywhere on the Mercury card.
>
> --- Graham

73 Johan PA3GSB