[hpsdr] HPSDR Interest List: Pandora Companion Enclosure

John Ackermann N8UR jra at febo.com
Wed Mar 25 19:12:52 PDT 2009

Several people have asked whether it would be possible to offer a
companion enclosure for Pandora -- a box with the same dimensions, but
no metalwork for Atlas, LPU, Alex, etc.  It would be useful for folks
who want to build a companion amplifier, or possibly even a dedicated
computer.  It would have the same ventilation grill and fan mounting
holes as Pandora, but no other metalwork.  Since the box is made of .062
aluminum, it would be easy to customize for your hardware.

We have checked with Pandora's manufacturer, and they can provide such a
box, but unfortunately it would be considered a separate product and the
Pandora volume manufacturing discount won't count toward its price.  On
the other hand, because the metalwork is much simpler, the cost at a
given quantity is somewhat lower than Pandora.

Accordingly, we anticipate that with a run of 50 units, this companion
enclosure would probably sell for about $125.  Doing a run of less than
50 units probably isn't feasible because of both a higher per-unit cost,
and fixed engineering costs that would be divided across a small number
(some of that cost is waived if we order at least 50 units).  And, of
course, at 100 units or higher the price would go down due to greater
volume discount.

We've opened an interest list for "Pandora Companion" at www.hamsdr.com.
 As usual, log-in, then go to the TAPR/HPSDR project page to register
your interest.  We will keep the interest list open for the next two
weeks (until April 8) and then make a decision whether there is enough
interest to warrant going further.

Thanks,

John N8UR