[hpsdr] Pandora question

David McQuate mcquate at sonic.net
Wed Mar 4 15:41:25 PST 2009

Several questions:
(1) The cards that plug into Atlas have connectros that protrude--
which will be out the back of Pandora--preventing one from
inserting a card, at least with a straight down motion.

I suppose each card could be tilted, inserting the connectors
through holes in the back, then rotated slightly to engage with
the Atlas connector.  Is that how it would work?

(2) I've seen pictures of homebrew cases which accomodated LCD
displays on the front.  Is the proposed Pandora height of 5.3 inches
sufficient?

(3) I'd hope to attach all the LPU regulators to at least a minimal heat
sink.  If the LPU were placed next to a side wall that would allow
bolting the heat sink to the side wall.  (keep everything cool!)

(4) It would seem to me that a fan blowing air parallel to (i.e. between)
the Atlas cards would be most effective in cooling the chips (especially
Mercury's ADC.  Maybe the place for a fan is above the cards--increasing
the case's height by the thickness of a fan (say 15mm (0.6") for a 70mm
square
fan.  Maybe use two to cover all six of Atlas' slots and run them slowly
to minimize noise.

(5) The currently proposed case size easily accomodates a BeagleBoard or
Nvidia ION motherboard, but an Intel Atom 330 mini-ITX is 6.75 x 6.75".
Maybe the case should be 6.75" high (inside)...   (Yup, I can see I'm
headed for "everything-in-one-box".

73,
Dave wa8ywq