[hpsdr] Alex

Jeroen Bastemeijer j.bastemeijer at tudelft.nl
Wed Mar 11 01:13:50 PDT 2009

Dear All,

I reply to this message as it represents best the point I want to make.

The discussion from last summer, about winding the toroids, is still in
my memory. Including the jokes for trying to "convince" people that they
should do the winding. ;-) As a result the toroids were woudn by an
external company. Which is fine.

At this moment, there is a large box (boxes?) at the TAPR office, I
guess, with all the toroids waiting to be put on a board. This soldering
can either be done by a contract manufacturer or by the buyers (= hams)
themselves. I think those toroids should be used. We can't let TAPR
stock those toroids forever! ;-)

The point I want to make is: Who is going to assemble the board? At this
moment, there is no other choice than buying ready built boards (except
for waiting till the gerbers are available). The options I would like to
see:
- buy the ready assembled boards
- buy the bare board and a bag with the toroids (I didn't mean a partial
build kit!)
- optionally, third option, buy the bare board (this would be cheaper
than, taking the Gerber and have the board made/manufactured yourself)

To be short, I agree on the toroid winding, this discussion has been
going on long enough to get the input from everybody. However, the
decission on offering Alex only as ready build board was taken without
much discussion, to my opinion that's a pitty.

According to my opnion, the fun stuff (for a HAM) is:
- building the board (learning new assembly techniques, like soldering
SMD for example)
- testing the boards (see how they perform, learn how they work)
- using the boards

I think Alex is one of the boards which is best suited for this concept.

73 Jeroen PE1RGE