[hpsdr] questions re: output spurs using an AD9954 DDS chip

Graham / KE9H KE9H at austin.rr.com
Wed Mar 11 06:16:09 PDT 2009

Steve:

I have some experience with the 9951, which is closely related
to the 9954, and did not experience a lot of close in spurs. At least
not above -85 dBc.  There are spurs everywhere below -95 dBc.

There are not specific application notes on reducing spurs, but there
is a lot of information "inferred" in the reference designs.

So the questions become:
What are you seeing, at what level?
What input reference frequency?  How clean is it?  Are you using the
reference multipliers, or direct input on the system clock frequency?
Are you running separate power systems for the analog and digital power
feeds?
[And separate again for the uP?]
Separate analog and digital ground systems?
How do you cross the ground system boundaries for the output? Transformer?
How did you isolate the uP from the DDS? Separate power systems?

In other words, a copy of the schematic and PCB layout would be
helpful.

--- Graham / KE9H