[hpsdr] PowerSDR Rewrite

Bob McGwier rwmcgwier at gmail.com
Thu Mar 19 14:36:09 PDT 2009

PowerSDR is being rewritten in VS2008.  I did a port of a test branch of
the VS2003 code on January 24 after reading myriad reports that VS2008
migration from VS2003 was MUCH easier than to VS2005 because MS gave up
on the practices they tried to enforce in VS2005 after it was roundly
rejected by developers large and small as wholly unacceptable.

"PoweSDR_IP"/svn/repos_sdr_windows/PowerSDR/branches/n4hy/VS2008

VS2003 PowerSDR would not support adequately support Vista, Vista64 and
would die for the most part on Windows 7.  The new firewire drivers from
the manufacturer of the interface in Flex products were moving on to the
new OS's. TC is also a business that sells THOUSANDS of parts per
month.  Flex is a little business that will sell a few thousand of their
interfaces in its lifetime.  So, guess who has to follow and who leads.
VS2008 was required to support this evolution.     The learning curve
for VS2008 port of PowerSDR was "Bob did it and it works" and so the
path forward for Flex was easy to see.

But Flex is NOT HPSDR even though many of us came here from Flex.
PowerSDR is NOT the ideal vehicle for the support of HPSDR.   If it were
not for Bill Tracey, KD5TFD,  there would be no support in my estimation
even in PowerSDR.  Unless we can get a "Supplemental Bill" through the
"popular coding congress",  that will remain the same.   It might even
be argued that Bill's existence has stymied alternative development.
But in my estimation,  we would have almost nothing to show if Phil
Covington, Phil Harman, and Bill had not followed the path they did.

I suggest you join yet other mail groups,  dttsp-linux,  gnuradio,
qs1r.  Flex user mail group is not useful for development.  After being
presented with credible evidence and then seeing the change in
perception about Flex that resulted from the removal of development
discussion from that reflector,  it has become a list of "this doesn't
work" or "how do I do this".  It is extremely valuable to users of Flex
radio products,  and Flex radio denizens.  It is, in my opinion,  not
that useful for HPSDR development.

java-sdr, sdr-shell, and dttsp are primarily linux executables and easy
support is available for those platforms.  For what I consider to be
different points of view,  Frank and I completely agree.

Bob