[hpsdr] Multiple Independent Receivers & Mercury

Georg Prinz getpri at t-online.de
Thu Mar 19 12:31:08 PDT 2009

Hello Frank,

you are right, that there are different definitions of multiple
independent receivers.
Unfortunately I don't know if there is an accepted or IEEE defined
nomenklature existing.
Mostly it is understood to talk about a multi-channel-receiver. This is
the version used in base stations. The whole system-bandwidth is
digitized and the channel selection is done via multi channel receiver
based on FFTs.

The other kind of "multi-receivers" is a system used in smart antennas.
You have N inputs with A/D-converters with digital down-converters which
produce baseband samples simultaneously. They are passed simultaneously
to a N-point complex FFT to perform a spatial FFT. That means the
outputs are separated in direction and not in frequency.

We should make a kind of brainstorming to define, what we need as hams.

Georg
dl2kp