[hpsdr] JTAG Mercury programming problem.

Graham / KE9H KE9H at austin.rr.com
Tue Mar 24 16:15:19 PDT 2009

Several Comments:

If you are programming Mercury directly with a Byte Blaster, or clone,
you should jumper out R10, or replace it with a 22 Ohm resistor (marked
220).
It shipped from the factory with a 220 Ohm resistor (marked 221).
Some will work, some will not work with the 220 Ohm resistor in place.

If you are programming Mercury directly with a Byte Blaster, or clone,
you go
in on the "PROM CONFIG" connector, J4, because you are actually programming
the serial PROM.  The FPGA will get the program from there at power up.

If you are programming Mercury directly with a Byte Blaster, or clone,
you should use the ".pof" file, and set the "Mode" to "Active Serial
Programming,"
NOT JTAG, because you are actually programming an external serial PROM.

The Files that reference a JTAG chain are for programming the Serial PROM
via the JTAG chain using the FPGA and OZY configured as a Byte Blaster,
which is an entirely different process, in which case you use the ".jic"
files.

It is also possible to program the FPGA directly, but if you do that,
you will
loose the program every time that power is turned off, because it will
not be
stored anywhere on the Mercury card.

--- Graham

==