[hpsdr] Fw: Altera IC's: moisture sensitivity

Erik N Basilier ebasilier at cox.net
Fri May 1 00:30:58 PDT 2009

----- Original Message -----
From: Erik N Basilier
To: hpsdr at lists.hpsdr.org
Sent: Friday, May 01, 2009 12:29 AM
Subject: Altera IC's: moisture sensitivity

I ordered components to build an OZY. The Altera IC's from Arrow came in huge opaque sealed bags. My first thought was I had been sent circuit boards, or massive quantities of IC's. On closer examination I discovered labeling that said the contents is moisture sensitive, and if reflow soldering or other high-temperature process is to be used, it must be done within 168 hours of opening the bag. There was a hint about some kind of moisture monitoring device in the bags, which might explain the bulk. I don't have experience with reflow soldering, but I am guessing I can ignore the issue as long as I do the soldering the amateur way with iron and added solder. It will be some time before I will have time to do the soldering, but I would like to verify what is in the bags a.s.a.p.

Thanks and 73,
Erik K7TV