[hpsdr] finding more participants / developers

Richard Ames richard at ames.id.au
Sun May 3 17:10:06 PDT 2009

On Sat, 2009-05-02 at 09:56 -0500, xxxx wrote:

<snip>
> What do you think needs to be done to encourage more
> software development projects to go on top of the
> hardware?
> <cut>

A particularly germane article just appeared in Linux Magazine:
http://www.linux-magazine.com/issues/2009/103/finding_coders

I am very newbie to this project but my observations so far:

1. Need to be welcoming - if there is conflict in the project potential
contributors will wait / go elsewhere.  Conflict is normal but needs to
be handled.

2. It needs to be organised. How is not critical - Linus Torvolds uses
GIT (see: http://git-scm.com/ and Linus talking on GIT:
all!  He can - because he is the benevolent dictator.

HPSDR is confusing --- mailing list, web page, verilog web page, svn,
tarballs, some documentation (some of which conflicts with other bits),
hamsdr website and storage of bits, array of SW projects (not spoken of
much in the HPSDR pages), etc.....

One reason I have focused on the wiki: I see it as possibly an
organising medium that all can contribute to.

You can help me:

Who is the benevolent dictator in the HPSDR project and who are his/her
trusted lieutenants?

Cheers,

Richard.