[hpsdr] Suggestion for a new HPSDR project.

Kjell Karlsen la2ni at online.no
Sun May 17 08:59:12 PDT 2009

Hello all.

Suggestion for new HPSDR Project.

I have followed the work of  Kevin, M0KHZ on his project Hermes with great
interest and after correspondence with Kevin (and Phil, VK6APH) I
suggested to make a companion 15W PA and Low Pass Filter for Hermes. I
know it is possible to use Pennywhistle and Alex LP Filter but my idea is
to build a self contained HPSDR Transceiver into a box similar to the one
used for the two Alex boards. This box, made by Hammond has a sliding
cower on one of the sides. (Look at the Series 1455, PN 1455N1601). This
cower can be used as Front Panel and behind this a display up to 4 inches
may be installed. There will also be space for a controller (Beagleboard
or something else). I know that there are several people out there looking
for small platforms to use as controllers for a self contained transceiver
so they may come up with something we can use in this project. Hurry up!!

My original goal was to come down to a current consumption of less than
0,3- 0,4 A but this seems to be difficult with the existing  units (Ozy,
Mercury and PC/ controller).  If we can manage to get all into this box
and working with suitable software, we can modify the hardware and use
less power hungry components for a 2.nd generation transceiver.

To save power, I am going to use latched relays for filter switching. This
will require modified software but should not be difficult. The interface
to Hermes will be I2C.

The LP Filters will be based on Alex but with only one Antenna connector.
The toroides may be smaller (T38 instead of T50). Also the capacitors can
have lower voltage ratings. An Antenna Tuner can also sit in on the same
board. (LDG makes good tuners so it may be possible to use one from them)

I shall of course work closely with Kevin to get everything functioning
as smooth as possible.

I´ll draw the schematic diagrams as soon as possible and place it into
Wiki and look forward to comments.

There must be a name for this board. I have no knowledge in Greek
mythology but Kevin suggested Apollo. Hermes and Apollo were best friends
and half brothers. If someone has  other names, come on!

73, de LA2NI Kjell