[hpsdr] Project proposal - Hermes

Lyle Johnson kk7p at wavecable.com
Sat May 23 08:18:02 PDT 2009

Hello Kevin!

Looking over the information for Hermes in the wiki, a few thoughts.

1) Delete the LTC6400-20 preamp.  We can get differential drive to the
ADC using a transformer.  The 6400 reduces the dynamic range of the
system somewhat and complicates the design as well as raising the cost.

2) Since off-board receive input filters are going to be needed anyway,
a suitable preamp and attenuator can be incorporated on that board.  If
Alexaires is the intended filter, perhaps it can be modified to include
a suitable preamp for the upper HF range.  Or use of the RX1 in/out
jacks on Alexaires can accommodate such a preamp.

3) The National LM4950TS makes a reasonable speaker amplifier. It is a
linear device, so no switching noise.  The TPA2017 is interesting, but
I'd be a little concerned about noise, including serious power supply
decoupling since it shares the same analog domain as the LTC2208.

---

This looks to be an exciting project!

73,

Lyle KK7P