[hpsdr] Project proposal - Hermes

Phil Harman phil at pharman.org
Sat May 23 20:29:38 PDT 2009

Lyle,

Looks like a case of dejavue all over again!!  One implementation of Hermes
is to use Alex for its HPF/LPF/antenna switching and 6m preamp.  In which
case it will need the LTC6400-20 preamp unless we want to redesign Alex.

A preamp is essential before the LT2208 if you want to have usable
sensitivity on the higher HF bands. As many are finding with Mercury, the
inherent selectivity of your antenna system is often sufficient for
satisfactory performance on the HF bands without any additional filtering.
By not putting a pre-amp on Hermes you are forcing the user to use an
external one.

Having been through this preamp - no preamp loop a few times I recommend we
leave the LTC6400 preamp in circuit at all times and  use a switchable
attenuator to take out the excess gain i.e. just like we do with Mercury.

Happy to debate with you - since I don't have to re-do the PCB if it doesn't
work :)

73's Phil....VK6APH