[hpsdr] HPSDR wiki - disclaimer, etc

John Ackermann N8UR jra at febo.com
Sun May 3 05:54:47 PDT 2009

Richard, thanks for that work.

I won't comment on the technical points, but on the license issues:

1.  I think the group needs to decide whether OHL/NCL is *mandatory* for
an HPSDR project.  I personally believe that requiring HPSDR hardware
and software to be open source is the right answer, but I'm not sure
there's ever been a discussion to determine whether that is the
consensus of the group.  I am not sure I would explicitly require named
licenses, because (a) someone might come up with an alternative that's
better than OHL/NCL, and (b) on the software front there are numerous
choices (in particular, I think each author should have the freedom to
choose between a copyleft license like the GPL, and a less restrictive
open source license like the BSD or MIT licenses).

2.  I think you raise a really good point about the license for the web
site and wiki.  That decision should probably be left to the system and
web administrators, but personally I like the Creative Commons license
for its simplicity.  Another alternative is the language I wrote for
febo.com: http://www.febo.com/copyright.html which covers more than just
the copyright piece of the web puzzle (but doesn't really address the
wiki aspect by talking about rights to modify the web site itself;
however, I'm not sure if that is a critical requirement or not.  If Don
or Dave want to adapt that page for openhpsdr.org, that's fine with me.

John
----