[hpsdr] HPSDR wiki - disclaimer, etc

Dave Larsen kv0s.dave at gmail.com
Sun May 3 08:32:11 PDT 2009

Richard --

  Thanks for the helpful suggestions.

1. As for the License.  I only think "open source" should be mandatory.
The license choice  should be the authors choice but if the author
chooses something other than those usually use. the group should have
the right to accept of reject participation in HPSDR particularly if the
license restricts the open source component.

I was informed that there is another open source hardware license, Grant
Hodgson  pointed out the
http://balloonboard.org/balloonwiki/OpenHardwareLicense is available as
well.

2. As for a document copyright.  I as well like Creative Commons and use
it for some of my webpages at work.
we should consider it or some other license.  again I think unless I get
lots of comment to blanket use on license I would leave the document
license to the author.

  Dave KV0S

John Ackermann N8UR wrote:

> Richard, thanks for that work.
>
> I won't comment on the technical points, but on the license issues:
>
> 1.  I think the group needs to decide whether OHL/NCL is *mandatory*
> for an HPSDR project.  I personally believe that requiring HPSDR
> hardware and software to be open source is the right answer, but I'm
> not sure there's ever been a discussion to determine whether that is
> the consensus of the group.  I am not sure I would explicitly require
> named licenses, because (a) someone might come up with an alternative
> that's better than OHL/NCL, and (b) on the software front there are
> numerous choices (in particular, I think each author should have the
> freedom to choose between a copyleft license like the GPL, and a less
> restrictive open source license like the BSD or MIT licenses).
>
> 2.  I think you raise a really good point about the license for the
> web site and wiki.  That decision should probably be left to the
> system and web administrators, but personally I like the Creative
> Commons license for its simplicity.  Another alternative is the
> language I wrote for febo.com: http://www.febo.com/copyright.html
> which covers more than just the copyright piece of the web puzzle (but
> doesn't really address the wiki aspect by talking about rights to
> modify the web site itself; however, I'm not sure if that is a
> critical requirement or not.  If Don or Dave want to adapt that page
> for openhpsdr.org, that's fine with me.
>
> John
> ----
>
> Richard Ames said the following on 05/03/2009 08:22 AM:
>> I have been doing some editing.....
>>
>> Please look at the disclaimer and see if it reflects the communities
>> desires:
>> http://hpsdr.org/wiki/index.php?title=HPSDRwiki:General_disclaimer it is
>> stolen directly from the licenses.
>>
>> Links to help pages: http://hpsdr.org/wiki/index.php?title=Help:Contents
>>
>> Incorporated Gerd's good info on humidity and the FPGAs:
>> http://hpsdr.org/wiki/index.php?title=Altera_Cyclone_FPGA
>>
>> What should the license for the wiki content be? It is yet to be
>> written:
>> http://hpsdr.org/wiki/index.php?title=HPSDRwiki:Copyrights&action=edit&redlink=1
>>

>> I have made two suggestions, see:
>> http://hpsdr.org/wiki/index.php?title=User:VK2NRA/sandbox